A 17.5 million dollar rebate program that would have helped home owners in Ft Myers, and all across the state of Florida has been put on hold. Legislators are currently debating the value of the program and how to free the money up. Money has been made available by the Federal Government, but, it is tied to a “Solar Rebate” program. Some are now saying those who claimed the money could be used for A/C upgrades spoke too soon. The Florida air conditioning industry is extremely hopeful that the solar and A/C programs can be separated and the A/C portion of it can move forward. Florida has a lot to gain from the program …
- Upgraded A/C units require less power from our power plants reducing demand from our limited resources.
- Florida will generate sales tax revenue with every upgrade.
- Counties will collect revenue from the permits generated by the program.
- A/C contractors will have more work, which will create new jobs, or at least prevent the loss of existing ones.
- Upgraded A/C units are, in the long run, better for the environment.
Hope fully legislators will see the value in this program and make it available to the public. Many in the Ft Myers area, already struggling with the recession, would have a difficult time replacing their outdated A/C systems without it. Feel free to post a comment and tell us how you feel about this important issue!